Despite the author’s intent, in a work of fiction it happens sometimes that the hero fails to win the heart of the audience. While another character (a sidekick, a rival or just a supporting player) ends up stealing the scene.
How so? Sometimes the lead is lacking in personality or he is one-dimensional. Sometimes he’s just too “nice”. Too naive. Too hot-tempered. Too powerful. Too lucky or too unlucky. Or he is somehow annoying.
On the other hand, there are supporting characters very well-developed. Cool, complex, relatable. With cute flaws or quirks. Simply: stronger.
In Anime series, there are plenty of examples of charismatic supporting characters complementing a not-entirely-successful hero. To the point that some secondary roles, in the end, have become the very symbol of a Saga.
Let’s find out together the most famous cases of supporting characters who overshadowed the protagonist.
- 1. Intro
- 2. #10 Elsa Scarlett > Natsu Dragneel / Lucy Hearthphilia (Fairy Tail)
- 3. #9 Kazuya Miyuki > Eijun Sawamura (Ace of Diamond)
- 4. #8 Phoenix Ikki > Pegasus Seiya (Saint Seiya)
- 5. #7 Rem > Subaru (Re:Zero)
- 6. #6 Lance > Keith (Voltron Legendary Defender)
- 7. #5 Char Aznable > Amuro Ray (Mobile Suit Gundam)
- 8. #4 Shoto Todoroki > Izuku Midoriya (My Hero Academia)
- 9. #3 Vegeta > Goku (Dragonball)
- 10. #2 Kakashi Hatake > Naruto (Naruto)
- 11. #1 Levi Ackerman > Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
- 12. Special Mention: Genzo Wakabayashi, Kojiro Hyuga (and basically everyone else) > Tsubasa Ozora (Captain Tsubasa)